SUB-20 linux kernel driver

All about Sub-20 Multi Interface USB Adapter USB to I2C, SPI, GPIO, RS232, RS485, Ir, LCD

Moderator: serg

groeck

SUB-20 linux kernel driver

Post by groeck »

Hi,

is there by any chance a linux i2c master kernel driver for SUB-20 ?

Thanks,
Guenter

xol
Site Admin

Re: SUB-20 linux kernel driver

Post by xol »

Hi,
What you mean by kernel driver? SUB-20 does not require kernel driver.
Do you mean you want to run SUB-20 from withing the kernel?

groeck

Post by groeck »

Ok, here is my problem. I need to have a vehicle which lets me connect various I2C sensor chips to a linux system for testing hardware monitoring drivers (which are also kernel drivers). This requires an I2C master driver in the kernel. An example for an existing driver in the linux kernel is the tiny-usb driver. I can not use tiny-usb because it only supports very slow I2C speeds, so I am looking for another solution.

I understand that the SUB-20 does not need a kernel driver. However, I need such a driver for my purpose if I want to use SUB-20 as I2C master. I could of course write a driver myself, but obviously I would prefer not having to do that.

Guenter

xol
Site Admin

Post by xol »

So I understand that your code runs in Linux Kernel. Is it correct?
I think the most simple way is to write user space application to work with SUB-20 and arrange communication between this application and kernel module you are writing. To do it directly from kernel is not so simple as it will require access to the USB modules taht is now hidden by LibUSB in user space. Rewriting it in kernel module is a complex task I think.