Better Picture Quality with Grex

Grex - Advanced digital video stabilizer with high quality S-Video support
DVD Red PRO - Copy & Capture Protected VHS and DVD

Moderator: Denis_Fogel

Reader

Better Picture Quality with Grex

Post by Reader »

I thought GREX is supposed to improve picture quality, however when I connected my VCR and TV through GREX using RCA video cable (both the VCR and the TV are old and only have RCA i/o) and played back the tape, the picture quality was worse than with direct playback (without GREX). Adjusting tracking did not help.
Is this a problem with GREX device?
Has anybody experienced this problem before?

xol
Site Admin

Re: Picture Quality

Post by xol »

Hi,
Grex like any other time base corrector is not supposed to improve picture quality of the old VCR with old tape connected to old TV.
Grex is supposed to fight protection that is not exactly the case.

But tell us please what exactly is wrong with a picture you get? We will try to see what can be done to improve it.

Reader

Post by Reader »

The image becomes a little "snowy" on top or gets some slight streaking.
The image is visible but it's annoying knowing that it is capable of being played back without those effects.
I have A LOT of old VHS tapes to transfer, so I would like to make sure that I get the best quality possible.
I am also getting a good VCR head cleaner.
I have not tried recording yet but I have a new, compatible standalone DVD recorder, so I am not as worried about it.
Connecting GREX does not distort DVD playback.

xol
Site Admin

Post by xol »

Hi,
I suggest you first to try a few of your VHS on any good VCR. Perhaps you can get a touch to one.
You may also try to sort VHS you have to find out if at least any of them is played good on your VCR.
This will give you a direction as to where exactly the improvement should be done.

Reader

Post by Reader »

Thanks.
I am looking for a new VCR but apparently standalone VCRs (as opposed to DVD/VCR combos) are no longer manufactured.
The ones that are still around are not on the GREX list plus usually they are mono (not stereo).
I will keep looking.
I just want to make sure that I've done everything possible before I am forced to settle for a certain level of quality.

Reader

Post by Reader »

I think the problem is solved.
Not being able to find a new standalone VCR, I bought a DVD player/VCR combo for $70.00 plus about $6.00 for a year-long warranty at Walmart. It's Magnavox DV220MW9A and it wasn't on the compatibility list.
I tried playing the same tapes on it with and without GREX, and picture quality did not deteriorate with GREX.

The DVD side only plays Region 1 and ALL, however.
Their little standalone DVD player (Magnavox DP100MW8B) plays everything except an unusual computer CD format, I hope they won't "update" it, and it works with GREX.