Losing closed captions with Grex

Grex - Advanced digital video stabilizer with high quality S-Video support
DVD Red PRO - Copy & Capture Protected VHS and DVD

Moderator: Denis_Fogel

xol
Site Admin

Re: Losing closed captions with Grex

Post by xol »

I'm not arguing that there is a problem.
I just want to understand where the problem is and how to fix it. That's why I'm trying to get more information.
There are 4 devices invented in CC delivery to you. Cable Box, Grex, DVD Recorder, TV.
I asked you to check CC propagation without DVD Recorder connecting it
Cable Box --> Grex --> TV.
Can you do it please?

george7c

Post by george7c »

In other words you want me not to include the recorder in the hookup. I did NOT notice that the first time. I will try that asap.

george7c

Post by george7c »

I hooked up the following:
BOX-->GREX-->TV, and the cc worked fine.

(You may recall that I also hooked up the following:
BOX-->GREX-->RECORDER-->TV and I also got good cc on TV, but the dvd recording cc would gradually decrease to nothing.)

(You may also recall that when I hooked the box to the recorder on stations that did not require the grex, and I did not include the grex in the hookup, I not only got good cc on the TV, but I got good cc on the entire dvd recording.)

(I would like to ask you an unusual question. What would happen if I hooked up the following:
BOX-->GREX-->GREX-->RECORDER-->TV ?
I guess I'm thinking , not enough cc strength to recorder. Maybe the Grex and recorder are fighting each other over cc signal strength, and the recorder is winning.
Or , maybe the box and the Grex are fighting over cc signal strength, and the box is winning?)

xol
Site Admin

Post by xol »

Hi,
There can be no winning as for Grex video is output and for recorder video is input. Recording is not driving the video line.
The fact that CC passes Grex in
Box-->Grex-->TV and
CC pass the input stage of recorder in
Box-->Grex-->Recorder-->TV
makes me thing that CC is definitely passing Grex.

Inside the recorder after recorder's input signal is routed to output and goes to TV where we can see CC and in parallel it is routed to recording stage there CC is lost. I would understand if CC were partially lost due to low signal strength. But you say it is totally lost, right?
Very strange indeed.

Let's try to check different Grex modes. Perhaps one of them will help.
Take a look here:
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_details.html#mode
Try all 5 modes and let us know.

george7c

Post by george7c »

I have been trying to record History International without the grex and it would record up to 1:50 and then the recorder would stop recording . I tried it again 5 more times and it would again it would stop at he same point. Then I tried recording with the grex and it recorded the full 2 hours but without cc. (Without the grex , my 1hour and 50 minute recordings did record with cc.
Then I tried to record "River of No Return" on Fox Movie Channel without the grex, and I would immediately get the "cannot record copyright material" display on the TV. Then I connected the grex and I recorded the movie with no problem. When I played the movie back, (to my surprise) all the cc played correctly.
I had a chance to record the History International program again ,I set the recorder to start the previous recording where it had stopped before, without the grex connected. The "cannot record copyright material" popped up. I quickly connected the grex an the recorder started recording. When I checked the recording, the last part had the cc recorded on it properly. I then tried to record the same program again from the beginning with the grex, and now all of a sudden all the cc on the entire program recorded properly. When I tried the same thing a few days earlier with the grex, there was no cc recorded.
It was as though, when the grex ( or recorder or whatever saw the "connect record" flag, it reset itself.)
Most of my recording is not on the "premium channels" like HBO, SHOTIME, ETC. Most of my recordings are channels on the expanded basic programming like TRU TV and others, some of which have "no record" flags and some don't. I wonder if this confuses the grex.
I have repaired circuit boards at work both standard and SMT, but I not knowledgeable enough to trouble shoot to an individual component nor am I an Electronic engineer. So my trouble shooting skills are limited and therefore I cannot explain what is happening inside or why!

Maybe sharing my experiences with others will help them. And maybe some electronic engineer will see this can explain it to me!!!

xol
Site Admin

Post by xol »

Hi,
We looked over it again and all mu stuff telling me that problem is in Recorder.
More likely it has some internal flagging of whether it accepts or not the CC. We could not decide about recorder's reasons not to record CC.
Try to figure it out.

george7c

Post by george7c »

Dvd recorders are getting pretty cheap now, so I am planning on buying another recorder. Do you have a list of brand and model of recorders that your customers have the best success with using the grex?

george7c

Post by george7c »

Also , you mentioned different modes for the grex. Can you tell me briefly how many modes there are and the primary function of each mode?

xol
Site Admin

Post by xol »

As for recorder any brand model is good.
As for modes. There are 5. Differences are deeply technical and I can not go inside details, it will not say you anything. Just try it.